JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Plain Janes - Cecil Castellucci, Jim Rugg When you come across a premises like The Plain Jane's it's hard to turn away from. A graphic novel about a group of girls (all named Jane) who take it upon themselves to bring art into everyone's daily lives in a way that can only be called P.L.A.I.N. Firstly, I loved this story. The number of smart statements it manages to make within such a concise story-line was brilliant. Overall it was pretty quick read [>40 minuet]. The characters were interesting and possibly endearing but you would have needed another 200 pages to really get to know any one of them. And that is what I really left wanting of this story, something complete, something more.This is a graphic novel that feels like it was written as a novel then edited down to fit. Now, that's not to say that it isn't well written or interesting to read, like I said, I loved the story but... Although the art was well done, detailed, and expressive, it felt like it wasn't necessary to tell the story. When I read a graphic novel I expect there to be a balance between the importance of the art and the importance of the story. In this case it made sense to have this be a graphic novel in theory because the story is focused on art and creativity. It just didn't deliver the balance of story that I expect of the format.Throughout my reading I kept feeling like The Plain Jane's should have been in a novel. If not a novel then at least a complete story, with time to develop into a more natural plot with dimensional characters.It could have been more. This has such amazing potential that it's potential sort of tainted my experience and I don't know who to blame for that.All of that said, I would still recommend this to people. It is a book that makes you think big with small gestures. Still enjoyable and quick enough that I'll probably come back to read it again.