JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

A Week at the Airport: A Heathrow Diary - Alain de Botton I have mixed feeling about this one. I came into it expected A Week At The Airport to be a quirky, personable look into how an airport not only works but is the pinnacle of everywhere all at once. Instead although the book is very much a quirky, personable look into an airport I found myself extremely disappointed. What I expected was in theory achieved, except I expected to like it, where as I did not. Alain de Botton does give us an insightful look into the depths of the new terminal 5 but for me it felt like his insight hit all the wrong notes. Like a piece of music played in the wrong key. This book was something that I could absolutely love but all I could hear was the glaringly bad pitch. Needless to say, I had my ups and downs with Alain. At times he seemed genuinely insightful, relating moments of people at a destination that isn't really a destination. However, more often I found myself annoyed with his writing as he rambled his way through entire sections. The first problem I encountered is what I refer to as "The Punch Up". "The Punch Up" is when it seems like a writer has written and revised their book into what they want it to be and then page by page gives it a good old Hollywood block-buster style punch up. This can be done by adding ridiculous scenes or unnecessary humor but in this book is done with a thesaurus and a list of brochure points.I'm not saying that Alain de Botton actually did such a thing, I just think this is the way he writes and I found myself annoyed whenever I had to resist the urge to set my book down, boot up the computer and google words every other page. Now, I will say that when I wasn't not enjoying this book, I was really, really enjoying it. The section on Arrivals was by far my favourite part and I really very much enjoyed it. Alain had his moments with me when I found his writing incredibly poignant and his vocabulary appropriately wrangled. On another related note, the photography must be mentioned. What happened with that? The pictures although necessary for the book were not extraordinary, and the way that this copy of the book was printed there was no way that they even could be. It's as if someone took these photos, removed the colour contrast, and gave them a grain that even my three year old printer couldn't produce.If you're going to include photography in a book you need to insure the quality of those photographs when they are printed or you shouldn't be adding them to the book at all. Bah. In the end A Week At The Airport had too many aspects working against it and even though I enjoyed some of the book the scales did not balance. This was not the book for me, but the good thing is that it is short, so if it does sounds like your cup of tea and you have a couple of hours to spare give it go and see what you think. I will give that to Alain, even if I didn't like it it still made me think.