JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

In the Heat of the Night - John Dudley Ball In The Heat of the Night is not the kind of book that I would have ever considered picking up for my own casual reading pile. However, when this book was introduced to me as assigned reading for a Grade 9 English novel study I was trilled. This is the first book assigned to me that I have truly enjoyed reading. Maybe it was because the novel didn't take 200 pages for someone to die terribly, or maybe it was the fact that when writing up those cookie cutter study questions, this book actually gave me something to say about it. Either way, as a mystery and as a reading assignment, In the Heat of the Night kept things interesting. The characters were written incredibly well and as things progressed and everyone's true character is called into question they are shown to be real people in changing times. I also loved how the story stayed true to the trails of the time period without making it overbearing, retaining it's overall readability.I ended up enjoying this book more then I ever thought I would, hopefully all of my future academic reading will be as lucky!