JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Heist Society - Ally Carter, Angela Dawe I could have swore that I wrote a review for Heist Society, did I? I can't remember. Oh well here I go... possibly for the second time. This audio book had been staring at me from its shelf since I first saw it, it took two library visits for me to cave and go back on my plans to read the book, actually doubling back after check out to finally pick it up. It has been a long while since I listened to an audio book with only one narrator voicing everyone. So took a bit longer then normal to get used to the narration, which did somewhat effect my connection to what was going on in the story. However, after I had adjusted and could really focus on the plot I found myself absolutely loving the characters and how the book was taking shape around Kat. My immediate reaction after finishing the audio book was that I don't think I would have connected to the characters as much if it hadn't been for the fact that this was an audio book. Their individual voices gave them a major boost in personality that I'm unsure I would have been able to deliver myself with just the text alone. Also on the topic of characters, I was just a tad bit disappointed how little backstory the secondary characters were given. I know that they are all there just to be part of Kat's crew but I would have enjoyed seeing the focus come away from Kat for maybe just a paragraph or two. The major draw of the book for me was most definitely the plot. I love the mystery-crime genre and because I'm much to nerdy and lack the necessary skill set to participate in grand heists or detective work personally, I love to get sucked into this sort of world. Ally Carter has written an excellent storyline and I'm glad that she was able to balance that with the YA character elements. This was a problem I had with a book I read earlier this year, Stealing Heaven which is similar in concept but executed much differently.Now since I'm writing this after I've read and reviewed the second book, I must say that something that surprised me was that while reading Uncommon Criminals I actually heard the character voices from this audio which had somehow managed to still be stuck somewhere in my head months after the fact. I think this really says something about both the narration and story/characters that it managed to actually accomplish that and made reading and connecting with the second book that much easier.Overall, I really loved this book and although I had a few very minor issues I immediately was looking forward to reading more about Kat and where her path in crime is truly going to take her. Recommended!