JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Cloaked in Red - Vivian Vande Velde Cloaked in Red is a collection of retellings, each short story attempting to take a different look into the possibilities of Little Red Riding Hood's tale which in itself although a classic is full of pit falls.It is to be expected that some of the stories are better then others and I will say that I was a little disappointed by the variety. Although each story was very original and did have a different outlook I would have enjoyed seeing something in more different styles then just the classic sort of folktales the book focuses on. It is also to be noted that because each story is so similar in concept when reading the stories one after another I felt it begin to drag and be a bit too repetitive. However, I actually really loved reading the author's introduction about her thoughts on the original story and what the original Little Red Riding Hood is actually supposed to be about. Overall, I did enjoy reading through the stories and there was nothing particularly wrong with them but nothing really grabbed me or made me care.