JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Soulless - Gail Carriger When I first read about Soulless I was excited to finally find supernatural fantasy fiction that was readable for young adults but located outside of the section. I have long given up on supernatural YA, although I find it enjoyable everything eventually started to look the same. Now however, I have found a new love in steampunk. Before reading Soulless I had only heard of the genre briefly and had never really looked into steampunk novels but in June I added this book to my yearly reading list. Reading this book, I was not disappointed. The characters were interesting and the fantasy world Carriger created based on politics and mannerisms more then violence and uncertainty compelled me to read on more then I would have expected. Although the romantic plot was not by any means unpredictable it seemed to fit with the more expected romanticism of the Victorian age. The only thing I found particularly frustrating about the book was that during points in the story the romance plot-line would stick itself right in the middle of a tension plot filled situation where it just didn't belong! It felt in the way and the plot could have lived without it. Despite my annoyance, in the end I found myself thoroughly enjoying Soulless and am now on the prowl for more specifically steampunk fantasy.