JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Wallflower, Vol. 1 - Tomoko Hayakawa, David Ury Life lesson from The Wallflower #1: When reading about ridiculousness and prettiness one should always be humming this: http://youtu.be/Ye7PIyIcCro Your Welcome. XDFirst exposed to The Wallflower through seeing the first couple episodes of the anime I found the story and art style to be interesting but most importantly it was funny, over the top, and seemed to be coming from completely out of nowhere. I'm glad to see that this correlate even more so in the manga.It took me a bit longer then I expected to get into the story which I contribute to the abruptness of the first few pages introducing you to the characters and the story by literally dropping you in mid-conversation. Since these pages don't really give you much context it took me a bit to adjust to what was going on and who each character was even though I had some previous knowledge of what I was supposed to be seeing. But getting past this, by the time I was done the first chapter the story was in full swing and everything started to come together in a funny and bizarre story of Sunako and her strange, forced interactions with four "creatures of brightness" who are now living with her after years of hiding from the world with her plummeting self-esteem and increasingly psychotic personality. Things get mapped out for you pretty quickly and the back and forth of, People: "You just have to try harder to be pretty or else you'll be ugly forever!" Sunako: "adhfjkadhfjlahd! NOOOOOOOOO! Die! *nose bleed*"occurs throughout each chapter giving you short moments to show that on top of her damaged interior she really is quite pretty.A brief final moment to talk about the guys in the story, you're first given there names through their conversation (which is very confusing) and a small glimpse of their shallow outlook and personalities but nothing really beyond that. If one wasn't the main possible love interest for Sunako and another didn't have black hair they would all just start to blend together. I'm thinking that this will improve as the manga progresses, once the story is fully established they will hopefully start to take on some distinguishing factors and given back-stories that might make me actually care about them as characters. Overall this was a laugh out loud read that isn't to be taken to seriously. :) I'm eagerly looking forward to reading through the series and seeing where this goes and how the characters come to develop beyond being "oh so pretty" :D*starts humming*