JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein I just read this wonderful book of poems and now all my thoughts are narrated in my "children's poetry voice". That bouncy, rhythmic voice that emphasizes all the right words, that is quick and makes everything sound much more clever and meaningful then it probably is.It's getting awfully annoying. But aside from that this book is just a great, wonderful read! There is always a place in me for children's books and even more so now that I can look at them from a slightly different point of view then when I was younger. Here we have a perfect combination of the silliness and wonder of childhood thoughts and stories and yet there's this tone of satire, of growing up to know different that makes reading this book even more interesting. Whenever I read poetry especially the silly and nonsensical, I always end up wondering about the poet. The process of how that one poem came to be, how they came up with their idea and what they were thinking while writing it, what exactly compelled them to write down something that can only truly be appreciated by a child? I don't know why this happens but for me it adds that little bit of amazement in reading this sort of book. You will probably notice by this point that I don't really have anything critical to say about the poetry itself but in my defence this inner narration is making forming thoughts really hard. So... I'm just going to continue my meandering. I wish I had read this or had this read to me when I was a kid but I actually only heard of this book recently (and through GR). I didn't even make the connection to the author who also wrote The Giving Tree which only clicked when I noticed this glaring fact mentioned on the back flap of the book that this was the same person! Wow, major over sight on my part! I'm glad that I decided to read this and I hope to take the time to look into reading more children's lit over the coming months, I've really missed this. *Side Note: Authors picture on back cover, Creepy, yes? or Creepy, no? I can't make up my mind.