JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

The Big Book of Irony - Jon Winokur I picked up the The Big Book of Irony because of a long standing thought that I have no real idea of what irony is, despite that fact that I'm suppose to know and identify it for my work in school and just in general speech. This seemed like the perfect opportunity for me to skim a few pages and finally have the unexplainable explained properly. I however, ended up not just skimming the pages but reading the book all the way through and enjoyed it more then I thought I would for a short non-fiction book about such a subject as irony. With references to blogs, wikipedia, quotes, etc. the more I read of this book the less it felt like an education injunction and the more it felt like I was reading the work of a literary geek who was taking the time to sit down with me to try to explain exactly how irony works, what it is, and what it isn't in the most enthusiastic yet, frustrated voice possible. I enjoyed reading this but not everybody will, with pages after pages of never ending quotes and explanations. It was a fun look into a subject that goes beyond just how irony is used but also delving into the thoughts and actions of people who know how to use it.