JessicaRobyn

Reading Robyn

Graffiti Japan - Remo Camerota Graffiti Japan is an unexpected find full of interviews with prominent Japanese graffiti writers and bombers coupled with some great photographs of their various works.Through interviews and social connections this book gives a lot of insight into the writer/painter behind the art. In such a style centric culture it is no surprise that artist choose graffiti specifically as a medium for their expression and just go wild with it. Although, part of me was a little disappointed that the book didn't branch out more, maybe explaining some more about the actual history of the art rather then just the current scene.The art that is displayed here is amazing. (The first thing I said when I opened this book was "ooooooooo, pretty.") There is such a variety in the style, locations, and type of graffiti that I couldn't tare myself away. I have always loved graffiti. It's one of those forms of expression that can be found absolutely everywhere and all throughout history. BUT a lot of the graffiti I've seen in person has been the simple tagging of Canadian suburbs which sways more on the side of vandalism then actual art. But WOW though, I knew that Japanese graffiti would be top-notch but some of the images here blew my mind. I have seen nothing like this before.The only real reason this book was only three stars for me was the complaints I have with the physical book itself rather then content. What bothered me was three main things. 1: Some of the pages are printed in this all black, glossy kind of finish and when you touch the pages you're fingers will leave marks. I found this kind of annoying as I was trying to focus on the art or text and was constantly having to adjust my hands.2: The font chosen for the text throughout the book has a really strange format for the letter "w" which makes it look exactly like an "m" which is not something I was able to adjust to. I kept having to re-read things because my brain would register "went" as "meant" and "was" as "mas", etc. which was pretty annoying. 3: The copy I'm reading is definitely brand new and I don't know if it's the paper or the ink but it has this freshly printed smell to every page that is more then a little over powering. (like gasoline in the summer) I know that this shouldn't reflect badly on the book but it messed with my experience and is not something I have ever come across before, even with the newest of new books. Normally I would write these little things off as me being nit-picky but all together these were some major flaws on the part of the publisher/editor/printer that I felt shouldn't just go unmentioned. But don't let my qualms discourage you, this is still definitely a excellent book to pick up if you're at all interesting in the subject. It has some good depth to it and may even act as a jumping off point for further interest. The art more then made up for any problems I had with the book while reading it.